SharePoint has its method of managing data using various functionalities available in the platform.
The platform offers many things only if you have the right knowledge and experience. We will provide you with an insider to make the process beneficial for the business.
What is the SharePoint list?
It stores and displays the data in the list format. This is similar to the database used to save the information and provide useful reports. Businesses use a SharePoint list to manage information by gathering the right information.
SharePoint list is a collection of information that provides a flexible method to organize the information. This will also sync all the information with great functionalities and features. Users can import the lists from an Excel spreadsheet, migrate, or deal with existing SharePoint templates.
How to create a custom SharePoint list?
It is important to build a custom list for a SharePoint platform.
Let us look at the process of creating a list:
- Click on the Gear Icon > Site Contents
- Then New > List
- Set a name and click on Create
- There will be a blank custom list
The process to enable versioning:
- Click on Gear Icon > List Settings
- Then go to Versioning Settings
- Click the radio button to Yes for “Create a version each time you edit an item in this list?”
- Click on OK
The process of creating custom columns:
- Click on Gear Icon > List Settings
- Redirect to the Columns section, select Create Column
- Add the Column Name and select the column type
- Click on OK
- This will be inserted into the list
What is a SharePoint Datasheet View?
This is a great choice for performing bulk updates of the items and files properties in SharePoint. The DataSheet View displays the application data in a web-based spreadsheet. Some usages are:
- Provides support to Text, Date, Lookup, Choice, Date, and number columns.
- Users can copy and paste values to make bulk updates effortlessly in the app. This approach is commonly used to import the spreadsheet into a custom app.
- It is easier to sort, display, and set limitations and filters in the SharePoint Datasheet views.
What are the benefits of SharePoint Lists?
1. Create Different Views
The major advantage of dealing with the SharePoint list is that it gives you the freedom to build different views to sort, group, and filter the metadata fields. The admin and the end user can build the views.
2. Single Source of data
The number of different users or teams that can enter data in the spreadsheet might cause issues during the version control. Sometimes even Excel online is used to save local versions on their devices. To avoid such complications, a single person must enter data in the spreadsheet where different people update the information to the Source.
Create SharePoint form avoids many such issues as a single version is a source of truth. Multiple users can make updates without making multiple copies of the form.
3. Guidance to add correct information
SharePoint list also guides the users to add the right information to create a form that has a user-friendly interface. Instead of dealing with data in the cells, users have the freedom to add explanatory text, drop-down lists, custom error messages, and more in SharePoint.
The values in the drop-down list and validation criteria are strong in SharePoint, allowing for data collection management sophistication. This provides a great level of control that will be lower in a spreadsheet.
4. Strong data integrity
SharePoint listsare the perfect combination of forms, targeting, permissions, and data validation to manage data integrity. This ensures that all the information is organized and easily accessible at any moment effortlessly.
5. Microsoft 365 integration
The lists can integrate the Microsoft 365 suite in methods that will deliver value in Excel. Like it is effortless to integrate a SharePoint list with the Power BI to handle custom reporting and trigger the workflows. This is a straightforward method to represent the data in a visually appealing method.
6. Filters and Modification capabilities
The custom list metadata gives some amazing filters to keep data structured. Searching for a piece of information in the list improves the user experience by consuming less time and effort. Just click on the filters pane and explain the choices. Also, the filters can be added to the custom lists and document libraries.
What is the use case of SharePoint lists?
A wide range of use cases in SharePoint lists is often useful for business owners. It is easier to have a sophisticated user case that uses the list to manage the data. Some potential uses are:
- A platform to manage the dynamic set of data where information is added regularly
- The potential to add multiple views depending on the data type, location, division, and more
- Capability to provide detailed reporting through Power BI dashboard
- Great potential to extend the SharePoint forms through Microsoft Power Apps
- Approval of workflow for the user helps to provide a simple structure that manages limitations on the numbers
- ● A single source of truth for critical information makes it highly productive
SharePoint Lists: Boost the Business Productivity!
All the above insights might have increased your interest to create SharePoint liststo keep the data organized, and management becomes effortless. It is simple to use and prevents an excellent method to control the dynamic collection of data.